Zacchaeus
said to Jesus:
“Look Lord, I give
half of my goods to the poor, and if I
have taken anything from anyone by false accusation, I restore fourfold”?
Once
upon a time there was a rich man in Malaysia the mention of whose name
evokes memories and images of a cheat, a heartless manipulator of innocent
Malaysians whose only crimes were to trust him and his Companies to keep their
promises to deliver the houses they had purchased. These innocent Malaysians
invested their life savings and their hard earned wages into buying houses to
be built by this man and his Companies.
Alas,
after having taken the money of thousands of unsuspecting Malaysians, this man
and his Companies then abandoned their many housing projects that dotted the
landscapes throughout Malaysia
and at the same time abandoned the thousands of Malaysians who put their trusts
in him and his Companies to their fates.
One day
this man asked himself “what should I do
now? I have hundreds of Millions of Ringgit, thanks to the thousands of suckers
who believed in me. I have all that I wanted except respectability. Every where
I go I am treated with derision and contempt like an outcast of Society”
“Who can help me to become respectable?”
After agonizing
for weeks “eureka” he said “I found the perfect solution, the Christian
Church of course. They are so gullible and they will believe whatever
I tell them!”
So week
after week this man dutifully went to Church. When it was time for the
“Offertory” he would stuff wads of RM50.00 and RM100.00 notes into the bag.
Gradually his generosity was noticed and he was invited to attend home cell and
prayer meetings.
One
Sunday, an out-of-town evangelist came and preached a message of repentance and
salvation. When the alter call was given, this man was the 1st to
respond. He went forward, said the sinner’s prayer and accepted Jesus as his
Lord and Saviour.
Soon
after the Church Service was over, the buzz was all over town. In the
air-waves, cyberspace, newspapers, magazines and cafes, there was a fierce “War”
going. The protagonists are the trusting and perhaps gullible Christians who
praised God for the “miracle” on one side with the victims of housing projects
abandoned by this man and his Companies, on the opposite side. This “War” will
never end. It will go on until the end of time.
In the
heat of this fierce war, there are serious and fundamental issues that
Malaysian Society had overlooked and failed to address.
The
issues are:
i) Can a man, having cheated and stolen
from thousands of innocent Malaysians and having left them to face their fate
and having still with him in his bank accounts the Millions of Ringgit he had
stolen, so easily gain acceptance and respectability by going to the Christian
Church and simply saying the ‘Sinner’s
Prayer’?
ii) Can this man be so easily whitewashed?
One moment he was treated with derision and contempt like an outcast of
Society, and the next moment, after having said the ‘Sinner’s Prayer’ and
standing beside the Church Pastor he has become a “respected member of the Church
and Society”.
iii) Now that this man is a “respected
member of the Church and Society”, what about the thousands of victims
of his Companies’ abandoned housing projects?
iv)
Is he going to make restitution
to his thousands of victims who trusted him with their money?
v)
What is the role of the Pastor
and the Church?
Have
we forgotten the story of Zacchaeus in the Bible, who when
after he was saved by Jesus he said:
“Look Lord, I give half of my
goods to the poor, and if I have taken anything from anyone by false
accusation, I restore fourfold”?
vi) When they know full well what this man had
done, did the Pastor and the Church teach this man to make restitution to his
thousands of victims who trusted him with their money?
vii) Can this man be at peace with
himself and with his conscience even though he had been “whitewashed” outside?
viii) Can this man sleep at night knowing
that his thousands of victims who trusted him with their money are still
languishing and still having to pay the banks for the loans paid out by the
banks to this man’s Companies for the houses that were never built nor
delivered?
propertygandhi will not
answer these questions and invite Malaysians to contribute your thoughts and
comments.
If you suspect you know who this man is and you are
a victim, without naming this man or his Company, tell us your story and
the pains and sufferings this man caused you and your family. Let your pains
and suffering prick the conscience of the Authorities who could have done
something to save you and your family.
When you contribute your thoughts and comments, propertygandhi requests you to observe
the following:-
i) Do not name this man or his Companies even if you
suspect you know who they are.
ii) When commenting keep to the issues at hand
and not make scathing personal attacks on the character of this man and his
Companies.
iii)
Avoid using slanderous and libellous language when
commenting.
Please remember what Mahatma Ghandi (1869-1948) said
“An
eye for an eye makes the whole world blind”.
No comments:
Post a Comment